Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Centaur is Me



http://www.artifolio.com/uploads/t/texnorman/34251.jpg

This was a picture that wasn’t working for me.  I’d set it aside. 

Now I don’t frame most of my paintings.  I paint too many of them and make too little money to be framing paintings.  Somehow this lady I work with figured I wasn’t framing my paintings because I didn’t realize they look better in frames.  So Diane asked if I had anything she could frame just to show me.  She buys frames at garage sales and thought she would have something to put on a painting and then I’d see and WAH-LAHHHH I’d start framing my stuff. 

It turns out Diane didn’t realize that frames and paintings come in different sizes.  I figured I’d get her preoccupied if I just gave her something to piddle with, so I gave her this painting that was unfinished and not working for me.

A couple of weeks later she brought my picture back to me.  She didn’t have any frames the right size.  So I figured I’d just prime over the work and then I’d have another canvas to paint on, and I was taking the picture back to my truck when another young cute girl stopped me and asked to see it.  She went wild for the picture.  I thought, well, it’s a piece of crap to me but if she wants it, let her have it.  So I gave this 20-somthing   young lady the painting.

Later it started to bother me.  The picture wasn’t finished.  She wanted me to sign it, and I didn’t want to sign it if it was unfinished.  So I offered to take the picture back and finish it up.

She said swell.  Well the gulf oil spill was[and is] going on, and I added a little oil slick to the centaur’s body map.  I made Oklahoma stand out since we are trapped here in Oklahoma.  It still wasn’t what I’d hoped, but it was more finished, the edges were defined, the colors were dressed up and the whole thing was given several coats of acrylic varnish. 

PAINTING IS AN INVESTIGATION OF BEING.

No comments:

Post a Comment